Dear Experts,

I have some stocks that are listed in stocks exchange outside India. (Once i sell them, there won't be any STT paid on them)

I want to know two things here:

1. For how long should i hold these stocks so that once i sell them, they qualify for Long Term Capital Gain ?

2. Also, i have some stocks listed in India listed in BSE. For the stocks listed in BSE, i am making Long Term Capital Loss.

Can i offset Long Term Capital Gain on stocks listed outside India against Long Term Capital Loss for stocks listed in India ?


Thanks, Anurag

Posted 2 years, 8 months ago by Anurag Sharma

Long Term tax will be applicable on stock listed on stock exchange situated outside India. Regarding loss on shares listed in India, you cannot setoff.

Any income on long term holding of listed shares is exempted from tax and this include loss also. Since this is totally exempted you cannot set off the lose with any gain.

Posted 2 years, 8 months ago by CA Pulkit Sharma

Your Reply:

You need to be logged in to reply.