I am running a website, where I am selling Readymade garments. I am registered under Karnatak VAT using my PAN number.

Now, I want to start a NEW website selling books(VAT exempted).

- Do I need to apply for a new VAT/TIN number?If yes, Can I apply to multiple TIN/VAT number using the same PAN number?

- or, should I get a catagory addded to my existing VAT number?


Thanks in Advance.


Posted 2 years ago by Vivek Agarwal

In individual capacity you can have only a Single TIN/VAT registration. You can add the additional commodities in your existing registration itself.

Posted 1 year, 12 months ago by CA Pulkit Sharma

Thank you sir. Books are exempted from VAT. So still I need to get the current VAT/TIN amended?

How to add the additional commodity to the existing registration.


Posted 1 year, 12 months ago by Vivek Agarwal

Dear Mr. Vivek,


You are free to add goods which you are intended to trade in irrespective of its taxability. you can add all those goods by amending registration through online log into your VAT account.



CA Bhanu Prakash


Posted 1 year, 12 months ago by CA Bhanu Prakash

Vivek Agarwal,

Not all books (Printed materials) are exempt from VAT. Exemption form VAT Payment is a different issue altogether. As dealer, if you cross the threshold limit of turnover, you would become liable for VAT Registration irrespective whether the turnover is taxable or exempt. 

Posted 1 year, 11 months ago by HS VEDANTA DESHIKA

Your Reply:

You need to be logged in to reply.