I believe this issue has been answered before, but I am having some trouble understanding a few points.

The situation is as follows.


Nature of Business: Pet products sold online mainly dry products such as fish food, filters and lights.

Status: Venture has not yet started, I need clarification regarding Vat rules

Online website: Amazon Website where Amazon stocks the products and ships out directly from their warehouse.

Concern:No business address, cannot rent a shop/warehouse just for online sales. I want to start this venture legally, no short cuts, I want to follow all the rules.

Question: Are there any exceptions for the VAT registered address if the turnover is 5 lakhs or lesser per annum?

Additional concerns: Are any other license required to operate a small business from home?

Advice Needed: Direct advice pertaining to the situation, I have gone through all possible information already posted here. If I need to consult a CA, then a reference for Mysore CAs would be appreciated.


Posted 1 year, 2 months ago by Nikita N

P.S  I meant CST not CAT. Apologies.

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago by Nikita N

Depending on the built of House vat department due issue VAT registrations.

Limit of 5 lakhs is increased to Rs. 10 Lakhs, upto 10 lakhs no VAT registration is required, Conditions apply. One condition is that trader should not be engaged in interstate trades.

In your case since you will be selling on amazon, Goods are bound to be sold out of Karnataka and thus Amazon makes it compulsory to take VAT registration.

You need to take vat registration regardless of your sales turnover for the entire year is below 5 or not.

You can consult a local consultant or Chartered Accountant for the vat registration. For CST same application is available online, you need to select CST registration while applying, CST and VAT numbers are same in Karnataka.

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago by CA Pulkit Sharma

Hi Sir,

We are starting an e commerce business which is both market place and inventory model.

we don't have TIN. For few days we are focusing only in our city and no inter state so we have not yet registerd with vat. When we bought products from wholesalers we took the bill but we have not yet registered for VAT so what should we mention in the space where there will be TIN number in the bill.

We have our TAN and PAN number. Can we provide the same?

Thank you

Posted 1 year, 2 months ago by Rahul Pattadi


If unrigister dealers means u won't find TIN number in bill.
turnover is less than 10 lacks TIN No not mandatory  .you ll be selling on online ,e commerce ,amazon its mandatory to get TIN Number ..

Please reach us info@meeqindia.in for TIN/CST Registrations etc.








Posted 1 year, 2 months ago by AMARNATH M

Your Reply:

You need to be logged in to reply.