What is the age at which software engineer become professionally retired or obsolete? - Professionals - Software - TIK Share
0 Likes 342 Views

What is the age at which software engineer become professionally retired or obsolete?

SEO Guru

2015-02-27

Being a software engineer, I have certain doubts or say questions on professional life of software engineers.

You can basically classify software engineers in two types based on their professional life:

1. Working in industry
  2. Entrepreneurs

What strategy, engineers should opt while working in corporates? What is the life span in the professional life?

CA Pulkit Sharma

2015-02-27

Good question as many are looking for it. From my experiance as a Chartered Accountant who has seen work culture of various companies.

Corporates have a structure, every employee is placed in the structure. You have to rise in the structure and there is tough competition. Salary depends on your position in structure. Mostly companies have excutive staffs, team leaders, manager, project manager, manager and various top management roles.
A fresh software engineer is first placed at excutive level, where he is mostly involved in coding the requirements explained by team leaders. His work is to code and code. You have to move out of this place at earliest. Problem being at lowest level of structure is that pay is very less and soon once you are aged you are looked as a burden since person very younger than you will do the same stuff with low salary.
At excutive levels young professionals are hired.
With change in technologies, your skills become outdated and unwanted. Company soon starts to scout for younger people who can work with low salary.
Its very challenging to keep one updated with latest programming langauges and being able to move upwards in the structure.
Generally, at an age of 35-40 you should be either a project manager or in the top position.
Software engineers have a professional life of around 45 as per my observation. I have mostly observed the companies categoring service industry.

Rakesh Bharadwaj

2015-02-27

I feel software developers have a very short carreer in the core area ie. Coding and Software development. As an young software professional, you will be at your best till the time you reach the roles of project managers and senior managers. It is because of young developers , software companies thrive and make money and yet they are in the lowest hierarchy in terms of rewards and recognition. After, you rise to the level of project managers , you are nothing more than just an MBA who sits in office giving trainings and seminars, doing performance evaluation. These Managers would have now become so obsolete that i read somewhere that they would have completely forgot the basics of coding. Yet these guys take a big chunk of company's profits in their pay package. This is very unfortunate both for the Profession and the company as such. Yes, i agree its not an easy task to become a project/senior head of a particular department, you would have struggled a lot , you would have done a lot of politics, been subject of lot of politics. But at the same time, what is the exact value addition which is being done by people in these positions. Zero. I literally mean it. TCS has planned to fire around 30,000 such employees in the management positions in next few months which is very unusual number for a company of Tata Standards. Visit this link for more info. You may read lot of debates are happening over this issue  all over the internet forums. 

http://trak.in/tags/business/2014/12/22/tcs-employee-firing-pink-slip/