Is Kannada-the language of Karnataka dying?
I live in Karnataka and have noticed that very few people communicate in Kannada. When I make a point that very few people talk in Kannada, people make an assumption that it is due to presence of lot of outsiders.
But let me make it clear that even Kanndigas prefer english over Kannada.
The simple example is college students or young Kanndigas working in MNC talk in english. Specifically girls talk in English. I have not seen a single Kannadiga girl working in MNC talking in Kannada. Infact whenever they get a call from home they go outside and talk in Kannada.
Why Kannadigas feel inferiour when they talk in Kannada?
It is not outsiders who need to talk in Kannada but first Kannadigas need to talk in Kannada and most specifically those studying in convent schools.
Yes Completly agree,
But the major fact is that the culture in which we are presently living and making ourselve to adjust with such culture is a factor which make us to speak English.
Languages are only for making the other person to understand what you want to express.
It is not like we should speak this language or that Language.
The Important is only you express in better way so that person listening to you understand better way.
Bari sumane charche madkon dhwesha belsadu ela
What I am trying to say is that it seems one of the oldest language is dying, atleast in Bangalore. My concern is not that outsiders do not speak in Kannada, well they will not since it is not possible for them to have fluency and may make mistakes while speaking.
But, why the local people ie Kannadigas do not use Kannada when they speak with each other. You notice girls in Bangalore, they are Kannadiga but talk in english.
If had done your college in Bangalore, you will understand that even Kannadigas looks you down if you speak in Kannada.
What you are talking about is the group of those youngsters who hare just getting excited to the mall culture. They think speaking in English is superior since they suffer from Inferiority complex. This is the main reason. They may not understand thr concept of Swa-abhimaana and Kannada abhimaana. Thats it.
I agree these days, due to lot of globalisation , bangalore and even many cities are becoming a multi-culture city. In the process, values, traditions, languages, cultures are becoming uninteresting to our youngsters. Especially with kannada boys and girls, this is becoming more as they have close hindi or tamil speaking friends.
Otherwise, i dont agree with you that Kannada is dying. It cant die just because few youngsters dont communicate in that. There are lot of Lyricists,Poets, actors, actress, our elders, who have lot of followers and definitely these people inspire the future generation.
Sirigannadam gelge, sirigannadam baalge
Jai karnataka mathe
I completely disagree with you that elder speak Kannada and there is lot of literature in Kannada. Can Kannada compete with Sankrit Literature but still Sanskrit died.
Young generation have to adopt to using Kannada otherwise it will die not immedietly but surely. Those who say Kannada is their mother toungue hesitate to use the language with people having same language as mother toungue.
I request you not to make baseless comments. When you want to argue logically, you need to provide strong facts and stats.OK, lets come to the main issue.
1. Why do you want to completely disagree that elders never speak kannada. I know this is your opinion seeing some close friends, neighbours etc., but what proof have you got to say that elderly people dont speak kannada at all.
2. Why do you want to compare Kannada to Sanskrit. You bring issues like competition in literature. You are trying to say Sanskrit with this rich literature has not survived. Yes , it did not become a speaking language of Indians over time due to complex reasons , then how can kannada survive.
Just try and read basic stats of Kannada lanaguage on wikipedia. It is one of the 40 top most spoken languages of the WORLD, mind you. It is one of the classical languages of Governement of India. It is also the official and administrative language of the state of Karnataka. It is spoken by nearly 50 million alone in karnataka.
So, before making any statement just to make a controversy, think twice.
OK, coming to the main reason why kannada is less spoken by youngsters these days, i blame it on the schools and colleges of Bangalore. The schools, especially ICSE & CBSE affiliated schools are becoming more and more defensive when governement is trying to impose kannada as the medium of instruction. There are lots of court cases and discussions happening in the government and the education sector. Many schools and colleges teachers punish students if they communicate in Kannada. This is the mindset of the schools. Even many young techie parents these days act as if they are born to some English father and an american mother. They dont say stories like Chandamama , Jataka kathegalu or say ramayana , mahabharatha. Instead they want them to listen to Hip-hop music, Jazz music, read harry potter novels, watch some crap english serials. This is also a reason why many youngsters today are again becoming slaves to English.
I feel sad and angry when you say kannada is dying because around 60% of karnataka population speak kannada with some dialects. Only 38% of Karnataka population being in urban areas are becoming english friendly, thats it.
I think Rahul Rai and Prakash Mehta should stop talking obnoxiously, else i think its high time i must move out of this forum.
@ Mr. Rakesh Bahrdwaj, you are getting emotional.
Coming to your thoughts pointwise:
1. You misunderstood my statement, I didnot say that elder paople do not speak Kannada. You have to read my reply as continuation to your first reply. What I meant here was that I do not agree to your theory that, Since elder people speak in Kannada and lot of literature is written in Kannada. I refered to your those words and not that elder people do not speak Kannada. If elder people were not speaking in Kannada, their would have been only a small portion speaking Kannada.
2. I am not comparing Literature in Sanskrit with Kannada Literature, we cannot compare. We cannot compare any literature with Sankrit Literature. I was just putting my theory that even Sankrit, the language with greatest knowledge died.
The facts like official langauge, most spoken rank of 40 does not hide the fact that Kannada among other Indian languages is losing its relevance. Not only Kannada, even Hindi may see same fate sooner or later.
Your thoughts that only urban population speaks English is again defeated in long run. Sooner or later people will migrate to cities for better education or english will move to villages.
Our discussion should not be based on emotions but facts. You cannot deny that Kannada among other Indian languages is taking a back seat. I think we should discuss how we can make Indian languages such Kannada stronger so that they never have fate such as Sankrit.
How can you force your opinion on others. I dont see kannada becoming extinct in other cities other than bangalore. Moreover, i was no where emotional , all my views were based on my experience. It may not be a established or universal fact, but its not just my hypothetical statement like yours " Kannada is dying" without adequate supporting points.
In the first point itself , you clearly show how much confused you are in your thoughts. Just read once again what non sense you have written. In the second point you repeat the same thing what you had told earlier with no sense.
I pity you , just for the sake of arguements, why do you want talk about long run, since you already want to kill kannada.
I again re-itereate ,why should some one agree if Some TOm DICK HARRY called prakash mehta says, kannada is dying. Thats it. Being a mehta, you dont understand much about kannada. What you can do is only attack kannada with baseless comments. You dont even talk kannada, dont bother about kannada, we know how to protect it.
If you are one protecting Kannada, God save Kannada.
You are bashing me instead of discussing the reality. Lets check your facts:
- How much revenue Kannada movies make?
- Kannadigas are intrested in Kannada movies of Tamil, Telugu or English movies?
- Why ticket rates are higher for movies other than Kannada movies?
- What noteable literature you have in Kannada, please do not quote one written before 2 centuries and do not quote only 7 people who received Gyan Pitham awards.
- Whether Kannada is able to economically survive?
- What is the financial scope of people knowing only Kannada language?
I am not saying that Kannada will dye but it is giving some indications.
I will protect kannada till my last breath. This is my land, my language, my people.
You are talking about kannada movie market. FYI, kannada movies are far more better than your bollywood movies i terms of quality. The Market and distribution may be very limited, but still they make good business. We are not insane fans of some bloody heroes like your Khans or modi bhakts who build temples for Actresses/Politicians . We only make a movie hit only when it has good values and messages.
Many Kannada people watch other language movies because all they want is cheap and lustful entertainment which your bollywood , kollywood , tollywood movies promote and make money.
Your third point - Only god can understand your english.
Noble lieterature. First of all tell me atleast have you read a single novel completely in your language. I guess no, because from your illogical and uncorrelated comments i can make out you are a person who may not even read newspapers.
Economical survival. Whats wrong with you. Its a native language of Karnataka people and used for communication. Does any other indian language is used for big business corporate dealings . English is rampant not only in karnataka but all over the world.
Financial Scope - You are hillarious. One of the richest kannada speaking Mr Narayan Murthy is enough to explain how rich we are. I know , with your very limited and halfbaked general knowledge, you may not have heard the below names. They all are proud kannadigas.
- A. B. Shetty, Founder, Vijaya Bank.
- Ammembal Subba Rao Pai, Founder, Canara Bank.
- G. R. Gopinath, Founder, Deccan Aviation.
- B. R. Shetty, NMC Group.
- Gururaj Deshpande, Tejas Networks, Sycamore Networks.
- K. V. Kamath, Managing Director & CEO, ICICI Bank.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Biocon India Ltd.
- N. R. Narayana Murthy, Infosys Technologies, Ltd.
- N S Narendra, founder of FirePro
- Nandan Nilekani, Infosys Technologies, Ltd.
- Phaneesh Murthy, iGATE Global Solutions, Ltd.
- R. N. Shetty, Murdeshwar Group.
- T. M. A. Pai, Co-founder, Syndicate Bank.
- V. G. Siddhartha, Cafe Coffee Day.
- Vaman Srinivas Kudva, Co-founder, Syndicate Bank.
- Vijay Mallya, UB Group
- Vijay Sankeshwar, Vijayanand Group.
- Vittal Mallya, UB Group
- Pradeep Kar, Microland.
- Ashok Kheny, NICE
- Thumbay Moideen - Founder President - THUM
You protect your language, that is you duty. I am not asking you to not protect your language. My discussion is not that Kannada should should not be protected.
I think you ignoring the big fact that Indian languages are becoming more irrelevant due to heavy dominance by English.
My English is bad, I accept that but we are debating in English and not some Indian language and this makes the point clear.
You have used some words which are not expected from someone while representing his language or culture.
The topic is losing its importance due to irrelevant debate. Why do not we consider the fact that something bad is happening and solid steps has to be taken to avoid it.