The most precious gift of education - Character - General - Others - TIK Share
3 Likes 1022 Views

The most precious gift of education - Character

Shrikanth Alva

2013-12-16

THE MOST PRECIOUS GIFT OF EDUCATION

What is the most precious gift of education?

If I ask this question I may get immediate answers such as Money, Employment and helps us settle in life etc., Yes, in one way it is correct and most suitable for the present education system, but if you look into our ancient system of education i.e. ,   ‘Gurukul System’ the answer is ‘CHARACTER’.  Character is the most precious gift that we can earn from education. One famous quote that says “If wealth is lost, nothing is lost. If health is lost, something is lost. But if character is lost, everything is lost” so Character is the important prospective that I am going to discuss here.

If we are able to analyze the past events such as September 11th al-Qaeda attacks on United States, 26/11 attacks on Mumbai and Satyam scam considered as one of the biggest corporate scam in the Indian history, we can easily come to a conclusion that there is a lack of morality or Character. Do you think the people indulged in above acts they didn’t have any intelligence? NO, they had it more than us, but they were not in a position to decide which is good or which is bad, they used their intelligence for destructive purposes. If you see Bin Laden’s profile he was a civil engineer, because of lack of good character he used his intelligence in a wrong way. So the education should build one’s strong character, knowledge and train him to stand for global competence. In this regard Abraham Lincoln’s letter to his son’s Head Master is evergreen. Here I am copying that letter.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"He will have to learn, I know, that all men are not just, all men are not true. But teach him also that for every scoundrel there is a hero: that far every selfish politician, there is a dedicated leader…

Teach him that for every enemy there is a friend. It will take time, I know a long time, but teach, if you can, that a dollar earned is of more value than five of found.

Teach him, to learn to lose…And also to enjoy winning. Steer him away from envy, if you can, teach in the secret of quiet laughter.

Teach him, if you can the wonder of books…But also given quiet time wonder the eternal mystery of birds in the sky, bees in the sun, and flowers on the green hillside.

In a school teach him, it is far more honorable to fail than to cheat…

Teach him to have faith in his own idea, even if anyone else tells him they are wrong…

Teach him to be gentle with gentle people and tough with the tough.

Teach him to listen to all men…But teach him also to filter all he hears on a screen of truth, and take only the good one that comes through.

Teach him, if you can, how to laugh when he is sad. Teach him there is no shame in tear.

Teach them to sell his brawn and brain to the highest bidder but never to put a price tag on his heart and soul.

Teach him gently, but do not cuddle him, because only the test of fire makes the finest steel.

Teach him always to have sublime faith in himself because then he will always have some sublime faith in mankind.

This is a big order, but see what can you do… He is such a fine little fellow, my son! Dad”

Together with academic education we have to acquire wisdom and a sense of right and wrong. Knowledge without wisdom, scholarship without determination, music without melody, learning without humility, a society without discipline, friendship without gratitude, and speech without truth - all these are utterly useless. Hence everyone should seek to follow the correct path. It is not a Master’s degree that matters but goodness. Make proper use of your education for the good of society. Our heart is a large vessel. Let us fill it with qualities of Truth, Love and Sacrifice. A good character is the greatest wealth we can acquire and that comes from character based education.

Sources referred:

1. Divine discourse Radio sai. 

2.www.nrsl.wordpress.com/2004/09/17/a-letter-from-abraham-lincoln-to-his-son’s-head-master/

Vinay Gavade

2013-12-17

Beutifully written & worth preserving article... gr8 going Alva:)

Shrikanth Alva

2013-12-17

Thank you Mr. Vinay.....:)

Neeraja s

2013-12-18

Its a nice article, especially in for this era, where everyone is running behind one or other thing of which even they are not sure, and where people have a pile of certificates without any value.Nice thought Alva, Keep going!!!!!

Shrikanth Alva

2013-12-18

Thank you Neeraja....:)

CA Pulkit Sharma

2013-12-18

Good article. Expecting more great stuff from you.

Shrikanth Alva

2013-12-18

Thank you Mr. Pulkit Sharma....:)