21st Century workload - General - Others - TIK Share
2 Likes 481 Views

21st Century workload

Kishlay Singh

2014-05-30

A student’s perspective of modern Educational system of India

I have always speculated how fair is it for teachers to burden the students with loads of assignments, or how fair is it for students to nag about having given tons of assignment that ‘risk-fully’ experiment with their academic and physical abilities.

I have been through those academic stages—that ladder of classes—from nursery to high school that, according to the wise, prepares a child for future, makes them independent, autonomous and successful. I have been through those experiences, I remember: working late night to complete assignments, projects, home works and different other kinds of academic shits… And now, I see my cousin experiencing the same!

Days back, she was crying incessantly, crying for she had not completed her assignment, crying out of fear of being scolded; it was 12 at midnight. She had been writing all day long, yet the work was pending! How can they do this! The school…how can they torture a child like this! The question echoed in my mind as I helped her complete her assignment the whole night, forfeiting my valuable doze. And this was definitely not the first time it had happened. Much of a routine it was! Every week was the same story: too much of workload, tears, late night labor, disturbed sleep pattern, and many other problems. Just a month back I came to live with my aunt for studies, I had been witnessing this since then.

And then again the same question: How fair it is for schools to burden the child with eternal assignments, or how fair is it for students to complain about it? I also experienced it, and today I am successfully out of the high school, independent and autonomous. I find myself above par with those students who were not exposed to such kind of educational treatment. Was this possible if this was not a way of education? 

Have you ever speculated when did ‘education’ become a foundation for bright society?  Why did schools and colleges come into existence? What biological events led to the evolution of a creature, the so-called teachers, who prey upon the tender minds of children for a living?  With the ongoing rise of new civilizations, knowledge became too complicated to be transmitted directly, from person to person and from generation to generation. To be able to function in such complex societies, humans needed some way of documenting and preserving his cultural heritage. Because direct and firsthand acquaintance in everyday living could not teach such skills as writing and reading, a place devoted solely to learning--the school--appeared. And with the school appeared teachers, a group of adults particularly designated serve such objectives. In short, early men, who used to gather food by hunting, continued to develop new skills to ease their live. These skills grew into cultural and educational patterns.

Ignoring the importance of education is much like ignoring power of evolution that has shaped humankind. Whatever evolution has taught us must be carried forward to survive in the present day scenario. Today farmers use tractors and harvesters to cultivate more crops, unlike the early men who depended upon primitive technology like stone weapons and oxen-pulled carts and harvesters . A modern farmer involved in a large-scale production of food must learn to operate specialized machines or he’ll not be able to provide enough to the population. Similarly, students must learn what’s the latest in science and technology, or literature to maintain the flow of technical and literary advancements. (Who wouldn’t desire a next generation of I-phone afterall, and who wouldn’t want to read and watch the next sequel of Harry Potter series). Education is what tells a modern human civilization from a primitive one.

But the question is: What’s the best way of education?

Education in India barely focus on developing new skills. There’s a difference between acquiring knowledge and acquiring skills. "Give a man a fish and you feed him one day, teach him how to catch fishes and you feed him for a lifetime.”  Indian education system seems to overlook this simple paradigm of effective schooling. I have seen many intelligent, successful students who never follow the school instructions and are reputably a bright student. I’ve also come across crammers, the book worms who spend much of their day stuffing information in their brain only to heave out during examination, and then forget everything once the exams are over. The best crammers are rewarded by the system. Is this what education system should be like?

According to me, the best education system is one in which skills are rewarded not the crammed knowledge, the system wherein creativity and original thinking are entertained and encouraged by the teachers of institution. The teachers should be smart and responsible. Another thing to take care of is to prepare students to live life rather than just create labor force to serve the industrialized world. Education system should serve the function of empowering children to develop their passions, critical thinking, and empathy, and also help them refurbish their conventional notion of wisdom.

siva krishna

2014-06-04

what ever you mentioned in this article is true to some extent! But don't you feel continous assigments are pretty much needed to keep children focused?? At the early stage of education it is very important for a student to develop skills like time managment and concentration. i believe continous evaluations will help them to acquire those. like you mentioned over dosing is always dangerous ! :)