Buying used vehicle - General - Others - TIK Share
1 Likes 338 Views

Buying used vehicle

Mahesh Kumar



I'm planning to buy a used 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler. Please advise what is the process to get the registration and name transfered to my name and what are the forms do I need to do?

Is it advisable to go through agents or is it quite simple to do in person in RTO office?


Also, please provide details on changing the address on existing RC of 2 wheeler.






If you have time and you can visit RTO office thrice or more than do it yourself.

If you do not have time and busy in schedules then i think you should take help of Agent

I am providing an agent number if you want to contact feel free to contact Mahesh 9448311422


Babulal Shiradana


Hi prasana,

follow the below steps if you want to do it on your own, it not that complex. Just ensure all documents are in place before visiting the RTO.

A) What is the procedure for re-registration?

The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State.

The vehicle owner shall produce the following :

1. No Objection Certificate (NOC) in form CMV 28 or postal acknowledgement for having sent application for issue of no objection certificate to the concerned registering authority.

2. Application form CMV 27.

3. Registration certificate (RC Book)

4. Tax Card.

5. Insurance certificate.

6. Consent of the Financier.

7. Pollution Under Control Certificate.

8. Prescribed fees and difference of tax if any.

All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and Vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O. in case it is not inspected earlier.

3. What is the procedure for renewal of registration of non-transport vehicle(Personal vehicles motor cycles,car,jeep etc.)

The owner shall obtain renewal of registration certificate in respect of Non-Transport vehicles after 15 years from the date of its registration.

Application for renewal of registration certificate shall be made in form CMV 25 not more than SIXTY (60) DAYS before the date of its expiry along with documents viz. Registration Certificate, Insurance Certificate, Tax Card, Pollution Under Control Certificate, Prescribed fee and produce the vehicle for inspection in a good condition. 

Registration Certificate will be renewed for a period of FIVE YEARS .

B) What is the procedure for obtaining change of address and transfer of ownership?

The vehicles migrating from other States or other regions in the State are required to obtain Change of Address or Transfer of ownership as the case may be.

The vehicle owner shall file an application for noting change of address within THIRTY (30) DAYS from the date of arrival and shall furnish the following:

*· Application in form CMV 33.

*· Application in form KMV 27 in case of migration from other States.

*· Application in form CMV 29 in duplicate and CMV 30 in case of Transfer of Ownership.

*· Proof of Address (Any one of the following )

*· Ration Card

*· Electoral Roll

*· Passport

*· LIC Policy

*· Pay slip issued by any office of the Central Government or a State

*· Government or a Local body.

*· Self swearing Affidavit by an applicant before an executive Magistrate or a First Class Judicial Magistrate or a Notary Public as evidence of address.

*· Prescribed fee and tax if any payable.

*· Registration Certificate (Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle).

*· Tax Card.

*· Insurance Certificate.

*· Clearance Certificate (CC) / No Objection Certificate (NOC) as the case may be.

*· Consent of the financier.

*· Pollution Under Control Certificate.

All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O. in case vehicle migrating from other State.