Displaying condition values in MS-excel based on the value selected in dropdown. - Software Applications - MS Excel - TIK Share

Displaying condition values in MS-excel based on the value selected in dropdown.

Babulal Shiradana

2013-12-24

Hi,

I have two columns A and B, in Col (A) each cell value has values (fruits, Vegetables) and in Col(B) I want values in each cell as dropdown based on the value selected in Col(A).

E.g. if I select Fruits in col(A), Col(B) should have each cell value with dropdown values as (mango, apple, banana) and when Vegetables is selected list of values as (carrot, potato, tomato) should appear.

If I have understood it rite we can use “Define names” option in Formulae tab. So all values for Fruits can be named as ‘Fruits’ and similarly for vegetables.

But I need your help for the formula which will help me building this validation.

Thanks in advance!!

CA Pulkit Sharma

2013-12-24

Is it possible for you to upload the file? Its difficult to understand your doubt.

As far as i understood the doubts seems that in one column you have fruits and vegetable and in one column category.

You want list validation for category and names?

Babulal Shiradana

2013-12-24

doubt.xlsx 

Hi i have attached the file.

now in B3 cell i want values based on the values selected in A3.

formula to be built is something like this

in data validation for custom " = IF { A3='Fruits' list fruits else list vegetable} "

also pls note i have crated 2 defined names as 'Fruits' and 'Vege'.

CA Pulkit Sharma

2013-12-28

Hi file is not downloading can you reupload the file.

Babulal Shiradana

2013-12-30

doubt.xlsx 

Hi,

Reuploading the file.