Does Google factors URL depth or site directory for its Search Rankings? - Computers And Technology - Internet - TIK Share

Does Google factors URL depth or site directory for its Search Rankings?

SEO Guru

2014-01-25

One of the frequently asked question is, Does Google factors the url depth or length of url in its search rankings?

The answer to this is NO.

Its the job of Search engines to render the best results to searched querries. Search engines are made to crawl the all pages in a directory. Ranking pages based on their location in directory just looks biased.

If a user have created directories based on type of contents is good for website. Directory categorisation helps users to easily navigate the website.

Here is the video by Google webmaster on this FAQ.

SEO Guru

2014-01-25

But other copied search engines such as BING, seems to factor the URL depth in its search ranking. Bing is not much used Search Engine so it should not decide your site design.

But i personally feel that BING will also adept to what google does, after all in web 2.0 scenerio the directory or subdirectory categorisation is common. Good content can be anywhere in main directory of sub-directory.

The Search Engines are to present the best contesnts to users, rather than deciding where the good content should be kept.

CA Pulkit Sharma

2014-01-25

A good post. Even i think URL depth is nothing to do with quality of content. My posts relating to TDS are being featured on top page in google but same is the not case with other search engines like Bing or Yahoo.

I think google is the king of Online Search and will keep ruling this industry. Bing is a cheap copy of google and hardly get any visitor from Bing (Because its not Google).