Which is better Desktop Accounting Software or Cloud based Accounting Application?
Cloudbased accounting applications are hot discussions nowdays. Desktop accounting applications are not losing the ground but are losing some customers to cloud based accounting application.
The main differences between Desktop accounting softwares and cloud based accounting application are:
- Security: Data is more secured in Desktop based softwares, as the data is located on the local machine. In cloud based accounting applications, data is stored in servers of application provider.
- Speed: Desktop application are considered fast compared to onlineaccounting Applications. Slow internet could be one of the reason.
- Reliability: Desktop applications are more reliable, a minor bug or change in coding of online application can bring big damage to business.
- Availability: Service availability is better in Online cloud based accounting systems. If you have internet connection, cloud based accounting applications can be accessed from anywhere. However, if internet connection is lost business comes to halt.
- Cost: Cloud based accounting applications are cheaper than desktop based accounting applications.
- Useability: Cloud based accounting softwares are more user friendly compared to desktop accounting applications.
The both the platforms (Offline and online) can be differentiated on many other parameters. But the reality is that cloud based accounting applications are giving a tough competion to desktop based accounting applications.
In India the major desktop accounting software is Tally and no big cloud accounting application is started in India. Gaurilla, is only one i can remember as of now.
Quickbooks is available in India from a long time and is good to use.
A very good comparison between traditional Desktop accounting applications and modern cloud based accounting applications.
Desktop based accounting softwares have been ruling the market and it seems cloud based accounting softwares still have to wait for atleast 3 to 4 years to see any major change in trends.
If we consider the statistics of Indian busines owners. Majority of the business are family owned and are manged by the eldest member. They are not comfortable with the change which is not comfortable for them or not easy to understand.
Once the generation gap is filled and new generation take the charge of business, we may see a erupt in usage of cloud based accounting applications.