Why Indians spend so high in marriages? - General - Lifestyle - TIK Share
1 Likes 408 Views

Why Indians spend so high in marriages?

Prakash mehta

Marriages are fixed in heaven and knots are tied on earth. Marriage is a function where 2 people decide to live together and their soul meets.

But in India marriage is a function where lot of money is invested, traded and exchanged. Why do Indians spend so much in marriage.

The average cost of marrying in North India is 5-6 Lakhs and this does not include dowry. Marriage is like a financial burden enjoyed by everyone.

The high spending is not on the girls side but same amount of money is spent by boy side also. Only extra spending from girls side is in form of Dowry.

I understand that marriage is a one time oppurtunity to enjoy with all relatives, friends and everyone. But, the cost is too high and it increasing day by day!!!

Ask any Indian parents, their main and most important goal in life is to get their daughter/son married as soon as possible.

coming to South India, marriages are simple but cost is not simple. The cost is not high but somewhat same to North Indian marriages.

As per me the cost analysis of spendings boy side is here:

Food - 30-40%

Traveling (Baaraat etc.) - 10%

Jewellery and apparels - 20%

Band-Baja - 5%

Others - 25%

The cost structure is similar for girl side, except that travelling is offset by Dowry and Dowry may go upto 40-50% of total spendings.

Bada Mouth

I am not going to claim the expenses to be too high. Well the expenditure on marriages claimed by you is some what accurate for the average middle class family. Cost is too high in higher societies.

Lakshmi Nivas Mittal spent more than 100 crore in her daughters marriage.

One can not argue that cost is high. The cost depends on the ability of the person, if we remove the showing off factor.

For most of the parents, cost is seen as self respect. Higher the cost more the self respect. The attitude is wrong and sometime a big burden on poor.