Who are more risk taker in terms of starting a business, North Indians or South Indians? - Business & Economy - Entrepreneurship - TIK Share

Who are more risk taker in terms of starting a business, North Indians or South Indians?

Rahul Rai

2014-06-26

Who you think are more risk taker in terms of starting a new business? As per my basic understanding, North Indians own more businesses than South Indians.

CA Pulkit Sharma

2014-06-26

A very well question asked. Its not about who takes more risk, but does it better. I agree North Indians are more risk takers, they take more risk.

Much of the business establishments are owned by North and West Indians. A large portion of Indian economy is controlled by them but that does not mean risk is due to culture or anything.

Another point to note is that much of the businesses owned by North Indians are situated in Bengal or South India.

For example, I am from Rajasthan and cannot think to practice in Rajasthan for obevious reasons. Much oppurtunities are available outside of our state. Much of the North Indians have the income source from outside their states.

They are already away form their home and only purpose to coming to other state is to earn money. More Risk is more Money.

Due to sole purpose of earning money and risk attached to it, North Indians are ahead of South Indians in starting a business.

But, we have also seen very big establishments started by South Indians. Infosys is one of them and entire loan against gold industry is ruled by Kerala enterpreuners.

Risk of starting a business is influanced by many reasons, few of them are:

1. Away from home to earn, South Indians are lucky because they get jobs in their own state and dont have to leave the state to earn.
  2. South Indians are more educated compared to North Indians. They can easily find a job suitable to their qualiffication and these jobs are really high paying jobs. On other hand North Indians either start a retail store or work in a small establishment. Being in touch with owner they learn the business secrets and start their own venture.
  3. One more thing, many may not agree but South Indians are more law abiding than North Indians. It is very difficult to start a business in India due to bribing officer at each and every department. North Indians dont mind doing business and paying these abnormal costs!!!! They dont have any other option, away form home to earn!!!

Rakesh Bharadwaj

2014-06-26

I dont agree with Pulkit Sharma, Starting is a business , succeeding in it is purely based on a particular individual, his skills, experience, his up-bringing, his family , his responsibilities , luck factor etc. It is foolish to assume north indians are risk-takers while south indians are risk-averse, its also shows that north indians are very naive when they say south indians are well educated, law abiding while north indians are not so qualified academically.   

CA Pulkit Sharma

2014-06-26

I am not commenting whether one is superior or not. What i am telling is the fact. I have written that risk is not part of culture but circumstances.

Population of North Indian leaving their state is more than SI leaving the state. Risk is part of oppurtunities available.

A person away from home takes every situation as an oppurtunity to earn.

Rakesh Bharadwaj

2014-06-26

Pulkit Sharma,

Its not about one leaving the states or one leaving to STATES. May be some marwadis are settling down in south india especially bangalore since the business opportunities here are more than compared to cities in states like rajastan punjab  bihar etc. They come here to start a living. Since they are mostly not educated, they start a small business and later grow to become big business owners. thats it. Its not called taking risk. I did not comment on superiority or inferiority of Indians. Since, south indians have enough opportunities available here, they do not feel the need to start new ventures so easily. Yes, if they start , its gonna be big ideas unlike some beeda stalls, garment shops, fancy shops , pani-puri stalls, run by your northies.  

CA Pulkit Sharma

2014-06-26

So here stops the debate, You agreed on Pan beeda or small retail stores. Starting in a strange place is risk and you answered who starts them.

Its not superiority or otherwise, its about starting something in a place completely strange and making money.

Rakesh Bharadwaj

2014-06-26

Pulkit sharma i dont normally debate on such trivial matters. You seem like too much overwhelmed being a marwadi northie yourself. So, i wanted to make a point on this topic.  

Prakash mehta

2014-06-27

Looks like Rakesh is in mood of debating a issue which is much clear and does not required any debate on which facts are available.

Coming to who takes more risk. Even i think one leaving the state to earn will take more risk. Leaving state itself is a big risk.

Starting something in another complete strange state is bigger risk.

You can come to conlcusion by comparing both risks, leaving the state and starting a business in a complete strange state.